About L5R at the end of February and beginning of March, 2012.
1) If you check out the latest Imperial Herald, you’ll find that the Embers of War Spider Stronghold represents the Spider setting up a secret stronghold in the Ivory Kingdoms without the knowledge of the Dragon Clan. When the “Dragon watch over the Spider” was revealed in fiction, there was the obvious problem that the Dragon were going to have to start failing at their task, and probably pretty seriously at some point. I had hoped there would be a decent amount of interesting fiction out of the situation before that time came. Apparently that was not to be. And I guess the Spider haven’t lost their whole “setting up massive strongholds without anyone noticing” magic just yet.
2) All Sensei (or at least the first batch) will be Loyal. The previewed Sensei don’t directly interact with any keyword specific cards – but the Scorpion Sensei (whoever that may be) will be able to interact with Shiro Chugo.
3) Don’t call your TO over because your opponent has his Border Keep and Bamboo Harvesters in different sleeves than his Dynasty deck. Your TO will hurt you.
4) Decklists for decks that make the cut should be published, along with top of clans that didn’t make it. This game needs more strategy discussion.
6) Terrain meta is getting played. Don’t assume your Terrains will survive.
7) Between The Perfect Moment and Retribution + big attachments, you are going to get attacked on your own turn.
8) We’re not kidding about that whole “attachments matter” thing. Ashigaru Elite is actually getting play.
9) Do not try and run a T16 as best-of-three in a one-day Kotei
10) I appear to have been a bit dismissive of honor, as Phoenix ToP and Lion pure Ancestors have done well. At least we seem to have been right so fare on the notion that defensive dishonor is weak.